The Dangers of Xylitol

///The Dangers of Xylitol

Many pet owners believe they are aware of what is toxic to dogs. Chocolate, caffeine and grapes are just a few that dog owners are well aware of. However, many dog owners are not aware of the danger of xylitol. Xylitol is an artificial sweetener commonly found in many sugar-free products. When ingested by dogs, xylitol may cause vomiting, weakness, lethargy, loss of coordination, seizures, hypoglycemia, liver failure and even death. Below are a few common products that may contain xylitol:

  • Sugar-free gums
  • Candies
  • Breath mints
  • Children’s chewable vitamins
  • Toothpastes
  • Mouthwashes
  • Baked goods
  • Some peanut and nut butters

Signs of xylitol toxicity appears quickly – usually within 15-30 minutes of consumption. If you suspect that your dog has ingested xylitol, contact your veterinarian immediately. If you do use products containing xylitol, store them in a safe place that is completely out of reach of your pets.

2019-04-10T14:54:31+00:00