Fleas and ticks are not just an annoyance, they can pose a serious health threat to both pets and humans. Fleas and ticks can transmit Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted fever and other zoonotic diseases from animals to humans so choosing the right preventative for your pet is key to keeping your pet, home, and family safe. With so many products available on the market, it’s important to consult your veterinarian to ensure you select the safest and most effective preventative. For your pet’s safety, we recommend the following:
- Always check with your veterinarian prior to using any product (especially over the counter).
- Use caution when using preventatives on pets who are pregnant, older, very young, or taking medications. Your veterinarian will provide expert advice on the appropriate preventative in any situation.
- Never use any preventative on cats that are indicated for dogs only.
- Double check the weight range prior to administering any preventative. Giving a small pet a dose for a larger animal can have detrimental results.
- Follow the directions that are indicated on the product. Never apply more or less than the recommended dose.
Veterinary Associates of Cape Cod offers a wide variety of flea and tick preventatives in hospital. From topical, oral and collars; we have you covered! Our online pharmacy offers an assortment of products as well. Remember to keep your pet safe and use flea and tick preventatives throughout the entire year!